The CNS has made a commitment to work collaboratively with other organizations to advance the education of neurosurgeons and other neurosurgical professionals and to make it easier for member neurosurgeons to find education that meets the same rigorous standards the CNS has in place for its own educational activities.
The CNS is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Accreditation in the ACCME System seeks to assure the medical community and the public that CNS delivers education that is relevant to clinicians’ needs, evidence-based, evaluated for its effectiveness, and independent of commercial influence. We invite you to apply for the CNS Approval Seal for your educational activity.
Criteria for CNS approval of an educational activity are as follows:
- The activity must serve to maintain, develop, or increase the knowledge, skills and professional performance and relationships that a neurosurgeon uses to provide services for patients, the public, or the profession.
- It must be a unique project that will promote the mission of the CNS.
- It must take place in the United States or Canada.
- It cannot conflict with any CNS educational activities or products.
- The activity cannot be created or influenced by a commercial interest.
Organizations that want to apply for the CNS Approval Seal of their educational activity must complete the form below. After submitting the form, you will receive an email requesting the following information:
- A copy of the preliminary educational program
- A copy of any promotional material for the activity
- A $100 application fee, which is non-refundable if not approved, but will applied toward the $500 fee if approved
The non-refundable fee for approval of each educational activity occurrence is $500 and includes:
- One-time use of the CNS Approval Seal for an educational activity on marketing materials along with the following statement: This educational activity has been approved by the Congress of Neurological Surgeons as relevant to the practice of neurological surgery
- A listing with the CNS Approval Seal on the CNS website, www.cns.org
Allow a minimum of six weeks to process your request. Applications will not be processed until all items listed above have been submitted to the CNS.
Once written approval is obtained, no changes can be made to either the educational program or the promotional material without resubmission to the CNS for review. The CNS is approving the context of material. Any deviation from what has been contextually approved is not the responsibility of the CNS.
Applications will be forwarded to the CNS education committee, which will determine which activities meet the criteria for CNS approval. Organizations will be notified in writing of the education committee’s decision within six weeks of receipt of all the above material. Approval is granted as a one-time use, and a new application must be completed for any reccurring programs or additional dates from the initial approval. The CNS Approval Seal may be used only as specified in the CNS Approval Seal standards.
Please note that the CNS will not serve as the CME provider and will not provide financial support.
Applications should be sent to:
Congress of Neurological Surgeons
Attention: Educational Activity Approval
10 N. Martingale Road, Suite 190
Schaumburg, IL 60173