An applicant for Active Membership in the Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS) must be a licensed physician whose practice is substantially limited to neurological surgery." Further, an applicant for Active Membership must:
- Be certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgery, The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or the Mexican Council of Neurological Surgery; OR
- Have completed the residency training requirements of a program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education; OR
- Have acceptable academic training equivalent to the requirements for eligibility for examination by the American Board of Neurological Surgery; OR
- Have an outstanding record in the field of neurological surgery over a period of years, due to the high standard of quality of the applicants work; AND
- Be a member in good standing in the applicant’s local or regional medical society or equivalent documentation of good standing in local medical community (e.g. active hospital privileges) except for applicants who are officers in the Armed Forces; AND
- Have a record consistent with the highest standards of the profession.
The annual fee for CNS Active Membership is $675 (U.S. currency) plus a one-time processing fee of $25 (U.S. currency).